Tuesday, December 22, 2009

PROMPT (Prompts for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonemic Targets)

Hi everyone-
I want to talk about PROMPT therapy tonight. It is not related to stuttering therapy. It is used for children who have oral motor disorders, oral motor dysfunction, apraxia, dyspraxia and articulation errors. It stands for PROMPTS for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonemic Targets. You can read more about it on www.promptinstitute.com. It is a touch cue approach where each sound is formed by the speech pathologist through shaping the mouth, stabilizing the jaw, and elevating the tongue. I am certifed in this approach and if you have a child who is apraxic, slow to talk, has limited tongue, lip and jaw movement or minimal success with articulation therapy, I highly recommend it. I have seen two year olds who can't speak start to produce vowels and words. I have seen older children with articulation errors make much faster gains. Please call me to discuss further. This is my other passion besides stuttering therapy. Stay warm everyone.

No comments: