Thursday, June 25, 2009

My father stuttered and taught me how to fly!!!

Today I had lunch with my dad. It was a nice lunch. My parents spend half the year in Florida now and it is always difficult for me. I miss them alot and have always valued meeting my dad for lunch. I hadn't met him alone in a long time. Today I remembered how much his encouragement helped me deal with my stuttering. I had always heard stories of my dad stuttering severely when he was younger. He always said that his mother took him for speech therapy but the SLPs worked on articulation (difficulties with certain sounds). He says he never had articulation problems and never stuttered in speech therapy. I remember him stuttering every once in a while, but he worked as a pharmacist and I worked with him for years. I rarely heard him stutter. He said when he first started working, he had a difficult time talking to doctors. We rarely talked about stuttering. I remember when I would become fearful of looking for a summer job or talking in school, my father would say to just go for it and not worry about it. Sometimes it worked, other times not as much. He was and is a good role model. He stuttered (and I say that because I haven't heard him stutter in years) and didn't let it stop him. He encouraged me and believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. So I say my father taught me how to fly and is one of the reasons I am able to help so many people who stutter!! You are my inspiration and I love you!!

2 comments:

Pam said...

You haven't posted in a while. Everything ok? My stuttering changes continue to drive me crazy, stuttering so much more and with blocks. Will miss you at NSA.
Hope all is well.

Loved your story about your dad!

Lori Melnitsky said...

Hi Pam
Thanks for the comment. I have been off this week. I wished you live closer so I could help you. I will try and post on my blog tonight some suggestions. Will miss going to NSA as well. I think I should be able to make it next year. Lori