Sunday, November 16, 2008

Kids never Cease to Amaze me

Yesterday I was in a speech session with a very bright teenage male who stutters. I asked him if he would compare how his stuttering affected him now as opposed to when he began therapy three months ago. He gave me such a wonderful answer. He said when he first started therapy his stuttering was like breaking an ankle and being in pain. Now it is like a slight scratch on his hand. "It's like nothing", he said. It was so wonderful hearing this and he had a big grin on his face.

Also, as some of you may know, my dream is to one day have an institute on Long Island for people who stutter and their families. I want to be able to offer assistance to those who can't afford speech therapy and offer more intensive therapy workshops. My goal is to provide hands on training for graduate students and post graduate training for speech pathologists to learn more about stuttering. Today two very bright SLPs came to interview me as a person who stutters. I think I have an interesting story to tell with bumps along the way, but alot of successes. I hope I was able to help them. I will be speaking to a local school district in January and hope to be visiting more to tell my own personal story and various therapy options.

No comments: