Friday, March 14, 2008

Fluency Shaping vs. Stuttering Modification

I recently went to two conferences on stuttering therapy for children. The first was geared more toward a fluency shaping approach. The second was geared more towards stuttering modification. I found them both interesting, but I lean more towards fluency shaping and always have. I do feel there is a place for stuttering modification, however I do believe in continuous practice of fluency tools. I think it is vital to decrease shame, but personally without targets like full breath, gentle onset, prolongations,etc-I wouldn't be able to talk.

I think if teens and adults realize the importance of the continuous journey of practicing and persistence, the path to recovery will be easier. I am curious if anyone reading this has used the fluency master or speech easy? I would love to hear your experiences with it as well as your comments regarding this post.

No comments: