Sunday, June 29, 2008

National Stuttering Association Convention 2008

I returned home from the NSA convention in NJ. I am filled with emotions on so many levels. First, I presented for the second time at the convention. It is truly a miracle that I was able to get up there in front of an audience and speak. Who would have thought a one time severe stutterer who couldn't say her name or answer the phone could speak in front of parents and professionals? This year I was lucky to present with Dr. Jason Davidow of Hofstra University. He is a SLP and PWS as well. There is something remarkable about presenting with another PWS who has similar fears as myself. I think the talk went well!! Did we stutter? Yes, but we communicated so well and tried the best we could under stress to use our tools. Secondly, I am in awe of the children and teens who can put on plays and talk in front of a room filled with mainly adults and express themselves so beautifully despite their stuttering. They have so much courage and I admire them. I hope anyone reading this who stutters knows that we can accept the fact that we stutter while still working on effective communication skills. There is help available for those who choose the road to improving fluency in their lives! Thank you again to the NSA for helping me overcome my fear of public speaking. A message to the kids-always always always believe in yourself. Dreams really do come true!!

No comments: